Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflections


Having a few days to reflect back on reporting has been nice. Over the semester, I really enjoyed myself. I feel like this class pushed me to actually do the work harder than any other journalism class ever has. I put my heart into all the stories I wrote, and essentially did my best to care about the community I was covering. I met and got to talk to some really cool people (even a lifelong contact or two) while also improving my skills as a reporter/interviewer. I feel so much more confident after this class in my abilities to write and report effectively.


What I struggled with the most during the semester were the skills that are needed for effective interviewing. I feel like I am definitely worlds better than where I started at the beginning of the semester, but I know that over my career it will be something I will work on and develop. And of course part of me wished I had picked a more enthralling neighborhood, for the crime and actual injustices happening in the 'Set seemed pretty limited to things of petty nature. But, like most things I attack in life, I take no regrets away from here.


I love the Sunset now. On a day with good weather you can skate down Lincoln, cruise through GG Park, check out the waves at Ocean Beach, go visit funny-looking animals at the San Francisco Zoo, get one of my favorite sandwiches at Gene's on Taraval and then get a drink at The Spot up the street and make a fool of yourself singing karaoke in the back room. I've done it all, and I owe it all to 300.


I've said it once, and I'll say it again: most enjoyable class in this department (so far). Thanks to Yvonne for really going out of her way to engage us in the material we were covering.


I hope everyone has a truly fantastic Summer, I know I'm planning on it!

3 comments:

  1. Eric!!! Love this. And the photos. I'll meet you for a drink at The Spot in the spring. Enjoy your summer and good luck in the fall.

    ReplyDelete