Monday, May 3, 2010

Walking through the Haight yesterday, I became nostalgic about this past semester and being able to report on such a fascinating neighborhood. My final feature on the Haight is focused on the people who are trying to change it; the people who are trying to turn it into just another average middle class neighborhood.

It's going to be tough for me to remain objective and make sure I tell both sides of the story, since honestly, it boggles my mind that people would actually want to redesign such an historic and exciting neighborhood that is unlike any other place in the world.

It seems as if some people see the Haight as a dark, dangerous, poverty-filled place that should be avoided. What I see when I walk down Haight Street is a colorful place full of history, life and understanding.

If the sit/lie law passes, would the fantastic street musicians no longer be allowed to play their soulful tunes? Will the homeless that have lived their lives peacefully in the Haight for years be forced out? Where will they go? If the smoke shops are shut down, will they be replaced with boring convenience stores that are already overflowing in the city? Will the colorfully painted words of Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon on the walls be painted over? As I watch the sun set over Golden Gate Park in the distance, I shutter to think.

1 comment:

  1. Shudder.
    Me too.
    That law seems Arizona-like.
    Thanks for your insights all semester.

    ReplyDelete