Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sunset

So, I am a senior in college and have dreaded having to take reporting my entire college career. I have categorized myself as a photographer, I take pictures that's it. Writing is something I can do but really don't want to. This semester I had to just suck it up and take it. But to my suprise, I came out of this class writing things I didn't think could ever come out of me.

The first assignment of the class as you all may remember was to go to our neighbohood and talk to ten strangers. This was absolutely terrifying to me, I had to be a journalist without the comfort of my camera. I felt like that set the tone for the rest of the semester but I was wrong.

I hated the Sunset before this class. I thought it was just a residential place with absolutely nothing to do except go to the freezing cold beach. Little to my knowledge, there are so many cool places that have the exact feeling I try to find all over the city. The overall "feeling" of the Sunset is really laid back and homely. There are tons of hole in the wall type places that have been around forever, which are my favorite. It's a nice break from the hustle of the city.

My favorite place I found was the Jazz Quarter. I went back three times, staying and talking with the owner for hours at a time. I just could not get enough. He showed me all different styles of jazz and made me listen to artists I have never heard before. It was probably the most fun I have ever had on an interview. He shared small stories of his life which made him the person he is today. He's exactly what I think about when I think of San Francisco.

In the end, I still do prefer the photo side of journalism, but fully appreciate what it takes to be a good reporter. I learned a lot of important skills that I will use for my journalism career, and really enjoyed the class.

1 comment:

  1. And I enjoyed your stories. Thanks for this. Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete