Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The end of an era!

The semester is done, so is my brain. As hard as these last few months have been, I can say with all certainty that I would do it all again, with pleasure. Not only did I get to explore one of the coolest neighborhoods in one of the coolest cities in the country, I got to hang out with all you cool kids! Every day in the lab before class was like recess. Journalists have more fun than other students. I was inspired by everyone in class and felt motivated every time we went over each other’s story ideas and drafts.
This class was definitely one of the toughest I’ve taken. However, it wasn’t as hard as everyone made it out to be beforehand, but that was probably only because Yvonne is the greatest teacher ever. Class was never boring and there was never a day when I didn’t want to be there. I learned what being a real journalist is all about and I learned how to not suck at it.
I am really happy with what I’m walking away from the Mission with. I know where to get some bomb burritos and cheap drinks. I know where to pick up a lady of the night or a bag of crack. Most of all I have a reborn love for poetry. The open mic night was the most meaningful thing I experienced this semester and if it wasn’t for this class I would probably have never known about it. It seems like I think in poetry nowadays, I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else, but if it ever happens to you, you’ll know what I’m talkin about.
I learned so much about how I write this semester. I learned my strengths and weaknesses as well as how to write with a voice. I’m endlessly juiced off the latter. I’ve always wanted to write some awesome op/ed stuff, I feel like I could right about now. Look out!
I’m ready for this summer. I’m gonna party like it’s going out of style and try my hardest not to use my brain at all for the next few months. Feel free to join me. I hope everyone enjoyed hanging out with me as much as I enjoyed hanging out with you. See you next fall…or possibly on the beach—I’ll be the one under the umbrella made of kelp, sipping a 151 and coke, reading either the Satanic Bible or possibly Kaddish, I guess it depends on the day.
Lastly, and above all, thank you so much Yvonne. Teachers like you are few and far between, and they definitely never sound as cool as you do when you say words like park. Have a nice summer, vaya con dios.

1 comment:

  1. You are the sweetest. Brownie points up the wazoo!!! And thanks for tasting all those burritos and turning me on to some great ones. I'm in the green state and digging life, literally, gardening every day, hiking and biking and writing and reading and listening to good music. And you are right: you sure did find a fabulous voice this semester -- and it's all yours. I can't wait to read what you do with it. Don't fry too many brain cells. I'll try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete