Monday, February 15, 2010

Are you interviewing me now?

It’s fair to say that I enjoy talking to people. I enjoy sharing experiences, laughing at jokes that aren’t funny, and over-doing the compliments. There are very few people I do not take pleasure in talking to. The few people I do not like speaking to fall into the categories of over talkative drunk or those who constantly respond with a quiet “I don’t know”.

This week in covering Hayes Valley, I add another category to this short list: the ex-journalist. Now I’m not going to name names because this person is a pretty valuable source. But she/he made me want to absolutely scream.

Every time I asked a question, rather it was a simple or elaborate question, she/he would gives this little cynical smirk. The awful little smile was followed by a comment like “Would you like to rephrase that last question?” or “Why don’t you try that again, eh?” After several critiqued questions, she/he admitted that she/he had studied Journalism in college.

Apparently, in that year that she/he had tried out journalism, she/he had become the Yoda of all journalistic endeavors. I sat there and forced myself to laugh and compliment her/him while my interview skills were mocked and ripped to shreds. It was an experience.

I kept wondering if I had come in with a press pass or if I had been older would I have been treated the same way? I kept analyzing my hair and how I could make it look more serious and mature. I felt my long blonde hair didn’t boast an image of serious reporter. Then it hit me…am I seriously editing my hair?

I obviously need to get tougher skin to go out on that field. A press pass or age could definitely benefit me with certain individuals. But alas, my 21-year-old self is short of a press pass and years of experience. I have much to learn.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the lesson is to not entertain weird know-it-alls. Sounds like you ran into a RUDE former Journalist or Journalism student. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he/she sounds like a ass. I think you did the best you could in a situation like this, by entertaning them to get the story but you could have stood up for yourself. People will treat you the way you let them treat you, so if you command respect, (yes even at 21) in most cases you'll get it. But great blog very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how it felt. Good job getting through it though.

    ReplyDelete