Monday, February 8, 2010

My day in the Richmond

What I first notice about the Richmond, is how clean it is. I feel safe walking around by myself and can relax and enjoy the views of downtown. It is very residential, but not as flat as the Sunset and most people look like they work or live here. There aren't many tourists. I take Muni to get around, the 38 seems to work the best, and I can even take it all the way downtown. There are many restaurants on Geary that look fun and authentic. Shops that I can't pronounce the name, and look like they sale items you would find in a garage sale, are located on Geary and Clement.

Over on Balboa, between 37th and 38th Avenue, is the Balboa theater, which was built in 1926. Currently, three movies are being shown: The Last Station, Invictus and The Hurt Locker. For an older theater you might think the movies will be cheaper right? Well they're not. It's 9 dollars general admission, or $6.50 for a matinee and free if it's your birthday. You can check out their website at http://balboamovies.com/.

After a movie you can walk a couple blocks to Simple Pleasures Cafe, which is located between 35th and 36th Avenue. There is outside seating that has already been filled by younger looking individuals, most of them drinking pints of beer instead of coffee. I was little intimidated by all the people who looked like the "regulars" that I didn't go in, next time I'll have to bring a friend to try it with me.

3 comments:

  1. You should try out toy boat cafe. It's on 6th Ave and Clement. Really tasty food and fun kitschy vibe and they sell a bunch of random toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Valentines Day, Picture Machine, a tattoo shop is having a special;$20 heart tattoos. You might be able to get some interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, Amanda and Leanna!
    And don't worry about those regulars: they were first-timers once too.
    My friend Jay Parini wrote The Last Station. I can't wait to see it.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete