Sunday, February 14, 2010

Joe's Cable Car in Excelsior

There is this show on the Food Network called Diners Drive In's and Dives where Guy Fieri, a Food Network star, goes around the U.S. in search of old "mom and pop" restaurants that have been around long enough to make a name for themselves. In one of the episodes, Fieri visits San Francisco where he goes to Joe's Cable Car. I love burgers and fries and when I found out this place was in the Excelsior, I just couldn't wait to go.
On Thursday, after work, my friend and I took the 54 down Mission and got off on Silver where the burger joint is. The place was lit up brighter than the street lights and the conversations could be heard out the door. There was a long wait, but when the food came, it was totally worth it. The people eating at Joe's seemed to be people that have been going there for quite some time. I asked one of the employees what kind of people come here and she said that most were people from outside of the Excelsior that had heard about the place. Others were regulars that have religiously been going for years.
After dinner, we walked around Mission so I could see the Excelsior for the first time at night. I noticed most places were closed at an early time. There were a couple local bars opened but we were too stuffed to get a drink. It did not seem as dangerous as it has been stereotyped. I must admit, I was skeptical about being around the district at that time of day, but I did not want to have a perspective based on opinion. I'm glad I decided to go and check it out for myself.

3 comments:

  1. And another candidate for a class field trip! I've got to try it. Loved how you put me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in the Excelsior it seemed like every local avoided this place. Its so expensive and trendy compared to everything else around it, I was also intimidated to go in. If you need another good place to eat try the Camarones tacos(or anything else!)at Menudo. It's right down the street from Silver and Mission about one block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in the Excelsior it seemed like every local avoided this place. It's so expensive and trendy compared to everything else around it, I was intimidated to go in. If you need another good place to eat try the Camarones tacos(or anything else!)at Menudo. It's right down the street from Silver and Mission about one block.

    ReplyDelete