Sunday, February 14, 2010

"A Ride on the Ghetto Tour"

I received an official tour today of Bayview Hunter's Point from a local. Larry Tiller, history major and recreation director at the Joseph Lee Recreation Center on Oakdale, drove me around to show me the area on what he called "the ghetto tour."

BVHP is definitely like a city within a city. There was Project Housing across the street from brand new condos across the street from homeowners. There was this segregation within close quarters.

There were mostly industrial businesses and residential housings throughout the area. One thing that stuck out in my mind was seeing a PG&E power plant not even 200 feet away from residential housing. My mind immediately flashed to reading about all the health problems that BVHP residents suffer.

Also to my amazement, I found out that there are no hospitals within the district, no clubs, a few neighborhood bars, and one major grocery store - Food Co. in the entire area. There are plenty of parks and schools, but I found that there's not really much else to do.

At the risk of repeating myself in my Hood1 article, Tiller told me that there's nothing in BVHP to attract tourists or anyone else to want to visit this area. Besides Candlestick Park (which is in the process of being taken away since the 49ers want to be traded), one swimming pool, an opera house, and the little small business shops on Third Street, there's really nothing else to do. There's not much else to enjoy in the neighborhood, and I think that's where the problems start. However, I did see about 10-15 Baptist Churches in the area, as well as 8-10 liquor stores and check cashing places. Tiller joked that for every church there's a liquor store.

It wasn't hard to figure out my way around BVHP after that tour. The 101 and the 280 kind of act as the border between Bayview and Visitation Valley. It was definitely an eye-opening ride because BVHP really is like it's own little world, and I have to remind myself that I'm still in the city every time I visit.

4 comments:

  1. Environmental racism is an always interesting and frequented hot topic, and would make for good subject matter regarding the PG&E plant's placement in BVHP in relation to the health/crime stats for the area. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely on to something with PG&E, not to mention the military, the city, and all the others who have dumped stuff in BVHP. Check out the artists who work the dump and all the wonderful people who live here and are working to make life better for the residents. Good for you to get a tour from someone who apparently knows the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. How interesting. You've made some great observations. About the church thing, I wonder what has attracted so many to such a neighborhood. Sometimes churches establish themselves in certain places almost as an act of charity. Some--well, one can't be sure. I know a neighborhood not too far from where I live in Southern California has ample churches, especially in the places considered to be a "ghetto." I've also noticed that churches tend to appear in places where there is a large population of a certain minority group (if that doesn't sound too contradictory). Although, it still kind of makes you wonder why there are so many. You would think one or two would be enough, but like I said, in places such as these, there's a great religious influence. Perhaps that's something you could question. Nice post, and good job getting that tour. Way to work that journalist magic.

    --Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have seen this, but you can watch most of it on youtube...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnt81e6MeD8

    ReplyDelete