Monday, February 8, 2010

Introductions in the Sunset



I anticipated visiting my neighborhood for the first time (the Sunset District), which I think is because I did not quite know what to expect. I knew it was largely residential, but that was about it. So, like any other time I needed to familiarize myself with an area, I set out with my skateboard and my camera to explore. I found the district to be really elegant in its design; it does a fantastic job with connecting San Francisco the city to the Pacific Ocean.

I was just moseying around, and I noticed how many people walking their dogs were out, as well as the abundance of dog parks throughout some of the neighborhoods. I walked into a pet store called Osso & Co. on 9th Avenue and asked about pet owners in the area, and if there were an unusual amount of them and what their attitudes toward the community were, but I ended up getting very generic and dry answers. The gentleman was a little preoccupied when I first came in so he seemed a bit reluctant to talk. The first commercial district I stopped was Irving and 9th Avenue, where I checked out some of the shops and restaurants, and (accidentally) stumbled upon the Craigslist headquarters, which I knew was in the area, but did not know exactly where.

I then skated down Lincoln from the Inner to Outer Sunset, and got a burrito from a really great Mexican food place called La Playa Taqueria. After eating and speaking briefly with the woman behind the counter - I found out about the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, which moved locations, and citizens are in a debate over what to use the old building for - I headed down to the beach to see if I could interview anyone down there. I stumbled upon a pretty surprising/amusing scene when the a violent wind nearly blew a woman’s stroller with a child inside down the sidewalk. I watched the event unfold without interfering (even though I would have had I felt the toddler was in any sort of real danger – is that bad journalism?). I spoke to the woman after and ended up using her as an anectdotal lead for my STREET1 story. Overall, I found my neighborhood to be quaint in nature, and extremely peaceful. The majority of its community members seem interested in bettering the community in any way possible.


Later in the week I attended the first annual Inner Sunset Town Hall meeting, where I talked to some concerned citizens about issues that matter to them in their community. Everyone there was willing to talk to me, even if they were just giving me cut-and-dry answers.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, it's okay to rescue a baby from being blown away! (And photograph it!) How great to use your skateboard as your means of transportation. I loved the top photo. Hope the meeting was useful. You can cover the whole Sunset or choose inner or outer. Enjoy -- and thanks!

    ReplyDelete