Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ok, I Get It.

My previous blog posts have playfully made fun of the Marina and its residents. I joke about their lack of culture. Mock the lack of diversity and generally portray it as neighborhood for those who are scared of the real world.

Today, however, I get it. Recent events have made me understand the desire to retreat
into the safety of familiarity.

I came home from school last Wednesday to find out that a man had been shot to death just half a block from my apartment. He was gunned down in broad daylight on a crowded street. This was the second murder on my block in under a year.

For contrast, the Marina as a whole has had just one murder since 2007.

I’m a small-town kid. A big police story where I come from is when someone puts dish soap into the town fountain -I'll never forget the bubble riots of '97. I have never experienced the reality of the big city to the depth I have recently. San Francisco can be a pretty scary place.

I totally understand the desire to insulate oneself within a neighborhood like the Marina. I want that kind of safety now and I don’t have children or expensive possessions.

Previously I saw Marina residents unaware people living in a bubble. Granted, there surely are people like that. Yet I realize now that a large number are probably people just like me, people who had the city slap them in the face.

I know now that it wasn’t mindless migrationary instincts that herded folks to the Marina, but rather a conscious choice based on priorities. Yes a sacrifice in authenticity is required, but comfort and safety just take precedent for some people.

I get it Marina. In my future, I hope I don’t make the same choice, but I get it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mike. Where do you live? Be sure to share the shooting info. with fellow students. BTW, if there's breaking news anywhere in the city, you can report on it for extra credit. The reason I moved up to Noe Valley from where I was at Octavia and Market was that I was sick of stepping over bodies and half the things I saw. My city friends think I'm overly dramatic about the shootings and the homeless but like you I don't want to lose my sense of sadness at some of the things I've witnessed in this city.

    ReplyDelete