Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fillmore and Japantown

Last Saturday, I went to the Fillmore district, late afternoon and I happen to find a farmer's market. The market is on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm, and its on O'Farrell and Ellis street. It was nice but I thought it was small for a farmer's market. However, there a qutie a lot people in the market, and most of them don't live in the neighborhood. I talked to some of people at the market. Most of them have said they like coming here bacause its a lot better than before.



One guy I talked to is a community activist and he has lived in the Fillmore he's whole life. He told me about the changes in the district. The street that holds the market, has been re-built. The buildings are brand new and the area seem more diversity in the community.



The Fillmore wasn't the only place I visited, a few blocks down and I was in Japantown. Japantown was a different story. When I arrived there, I saw people dressed up in costumes. I thought to myself, "What did I just walk into?". It was crazy, I saw a women dressed up as "Salior Moon", a cartoon character I used to watch in middle school. I went to the Japan Mall. Inside the mall, resturants, crepes, video stores, a bookstore, etc.



There is a place called "Pikapika" and a group of friends take pictures in booths. The backgrounds of the picture are animations. Plus, the pictures come out as stickers, and the customers can stick it on the wall, of the store. The whole store is covered with pictures of customers and little notes too.



I noticed in Japantown that it smells like curry and fish. Its not a bad smell but it does make me want to something. I did ate at a sushi resturant, and it was small crowed area. However, the cool part was they were serving sushi on mini boats. The table was in the middle of the resturant, and in front of me was mini boats. The server told me they charge based on the color of the plate. I thought it was cool and differnent to watch. So, I picked out the one with salmon. I'm not fish person, espically when its raw but I deciceded to try it out. Once, I put the sushi in my mouth, I was holding back in mouth. I really wanted to spit it out but I kept chewing. I'm never going to eat raw fish again.







1 comment:

  1. That's so funny! I'm not very savvy when it comes to sushi either; I have to go with someone who knows what to order. I do like the salmon though. Have you wandered down Fillmore Street and some of the side avenues? Thanks for this posting.

    ReplyDelete