Monday, February 8, 2010

North Beach

The first two times I went to North Beach for class, I took the bus to Union and Columbus and then walked to St. Peter and Paul Church on Filbert Street. I went out to Washington Square out front, and I thought how it was cute how this giant patch of lawn was actually fairly small, and that this little park was perfect for a small and crowded city like San Francisco. Being from San Jose, which is much more spread out on the land, I’m used to seeing huge parks. I had a Google map with me and I highlighted all the important streets so I wouldn’t get lost. But the neighborhood is not as big as I thought it would be, and fairly easy to maneuver around. I drive, but I only drove to the Daly City Bart Station and took the train to Montgomery. It cost $5.90 roundtrip. I didn’t feel like driving around and parking.

The third time I went to my beat, I took the Bart and skipped the bus, and took the long way into my neighborhood by going down Embarcadero long the north eastern shore of San Francisco where the piers are. From there I got a lovely front view of the houses on Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower, and the Bay Bridge. Telegraph Hill is the perfect spot to see both the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge.

The pier has a lot going on. Residents and tourists alike seem to enjoy walking there. Hopefully the entertainers along Fisherman’s Wharf have steady jobs or make enough from the tourists to get by. I wonder how people are traveling these days?

North Beach has a lot going on, but it’s relatively and quietly pleasant. Once you get to Broadway, things get flashy and noisy. That’s where Condor and Showgirls is located. There was a drive-by shooting on Broadway following Saturday night at 1:00 a.m. Sunday. I guess the businesses attracted the shady folks. The Brass Rail, a bikini bar, in Sunnyvale also had a drive-by shooting out front not too long ago.

Someone asked me, isn’t that a bad neighborhood?

I think that there are going to be crimes, like the rest of the city, especially in densely populated areas where the chances are more probable. But don’t let that put a damper on your fun. The rest of North Beach is good for families and most people aren’t too young or too old. They’re in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s,

I’d like to try all their restaurants and see all the shops. Seeing all the people with their dogs made me wish I had one too.

1 comment:

  1. Great start. One of my favorite walks -- actually a bit of a hike -- is to take the F train (these are the antique trolleys) down Market and the Embarcadero and get off by Fog City Diner, cross the street and climb the Greenwich and Filbert stairs up to Coit Tower -- a great workout -- then walk down the hill to North Beach. Try it, it's great (and a great workout.) Have you been in City Lights?

    ReplyDelete