Sunday, February 28, 2010

Birthday on the Beat

February 16th, my favorite day of the year. Not just because my heartbreak hangover
(from valentines) has faded away but it is a wonderful time to have a birthday.
AH half priced goodies and stuffed animals just seem to find their ways to me, and I am a sucker for all the Valentine’s Day junk. Even though having a birthday right after Valentines Day has its perks, this year my birthday was destined to be a travesty (my birthday was on a Tuesday and I went out on a Monday), so I decided that if I wasn’t going to have too much fun, I was going to get some work done for this class.
My best friend had offered to take me out and so we (yes just the two of us) decided to hit Jaguar Karaoke in Downtown. And I liked it! I recommend everyone in this class to go. Grab some great friends and go just to hang out.
This Karaoke club is for all the shy people out there who don’t want to sing in front of strangers. There are individual rooms that you rent by the hour. The smaller rooms that are meant for 4 people but can easily fit 6 are $20, and the larger rooms which hold 8+ people are $25.
The place is in some weird plaza with other Asian establishments and from the outside you couldn’t guess that the rooms would be so trendy. Beautiful black leather couches, mod painted walls, even light effects to help set the mood for your performance. The club has a great song selection in English and Chinese.
After we left the Karaoke club, my friend and I ended up grabbing dinner at Luka’s Taproom on Grand avenue and Broadway Street. Dinner was so good. The burgers were selling like crack in the 80’s, so I ordered one, best burger I’ve had from that area, maybe the best burger I’ve had, but worth trying.
After eating it was time to get to work, so I downed my $9 shot of Patron and proceeded to schmooze a little, landing some new sources and contacts.
Not too surprisingly Lukas’s a place where the yuppies come to hang out after they ditch their confining slacks and blazers. The atmosphere was so relaxed and warm. In the front was the restaurant narrow and romantically lit, in the back a nice sized dance floor and pool tables a very low key relax spot.
I had a decent time from my birthday and deciding to go out to my beat for my birthday worked out to my advantage.

1 comment: