Sunday, February 7, 2010

Financial District / Civic Center

My first couple of times in the Civic Center and Financial District area, I really just walked around and tried to get a feel for the place I was in. I was extremely nervous because people were starting at me all the time. I went with a couple of friends, but I was walking around with my notebook and camera. Unfortunately, my camera cord has been misplaced, so at the time of this writing I am unable to put up some of the pictures. Hopefully I find the cord by tonight or tomorrow, and I will post a couple of the pictures on here.

On one of the days I went to the Civic Center, I noticed a collection of outdoor chess tables. Being an avid chess player, I decided to sit down and play with some of the local guys. Most of the people there were older and African-American. In fact, most of the time I was there I was known as "cracker" or "white boy." A good chunk of the men were drinking, even though it was the middle of the day. I smelled weed too at some points, but I am not 100 percent sure because I don't smoke.

Usually I am a very good chess player, but I got off to a rough start. Certain rules are in effect on the streets that aren't necessarily used in a friendly house game. For instance, if you move a piece and put it down, that is your move. In a home game, sometimes you are allowed to correct yourself if you made a mistake. They were extremely strict on this rule right away, so I was more attentive to it.

In total, I played nine games of chess over the course of five hours. I won eight of the games and lost only one. Most of the players like to make side bets; in other words betting money on who wins. Even though it is illegal, I participated in that as well, usually playing five bucks a game. I won 33 dollars in total. The nicest part was that the owner let me play for free because I was very nice and interviewed him. Normally the rate is one dollar an hour or five dollars for the whole day.

I've found that I really prefer the Civic Center area as opposed to the Financial District. I think part of the reason is the diversity in the Civic Center area. I saw a total of 12 ambulances drive past me over the course of the five days I've been there. There also was an event being held on Saturday called the Step Off but it was invitation only and they had no fliers for me to take. Being white is kind of a problem in this neighborhood though. I was hassled more in the beginning, but they gained respect for me once I was polite and showed I had chess skills. One of the women there told me, "If you come by this area at night you will probably get shot or beaten up. Crackers know better than to come here at night." Makes me feel safe already.

1 comment:

  1. Hey if I can walk through the neighborhood -- and do -- at night, you're safe too! The best way to be safe is to be confident and pay attention to your surroundings. Not that I want you there at 2 in the morning necessarily ... Just be smart. I take Italian class near the border of the Financial District and North Beach and walk to the Muni both ways at night. It's cool. Who lives in the Financial District? You'll be surprised at who and how much! Thanks for the posting. And I know never to play chess with you!

    ReplyDelete