Monday, February 15, 2010

The Beach

I have been to the Outer Sunset on numerous occasions in my 3 and a half years living in San Francisco. But every other time I have been it's either to go to a party or a friends house; never to observe. This time was very different for me. I walked around and soaked in all of the little details that I am taught to look for in all my photo classes. I looked for things that people don't see on a usual trip to the Sunset. There are many little beauties in this part of the city that not many people see. The Sunset used to be referred to as "Outside Lands," which still seems relevant. If you don't live or work in the Sunset, it's rare that one would go. People think it's too far out of the city to even spend a little time in. Like mentioned in my earlier post, I am really starting to appreciate this part of the city more and more each time I return.

I was a little bit early for an interview so I decided to walk down to the beach because it was a nice day. I have been reading a lot about the history of the Sunset and much of it includes the sand dunes. The Sunset used to be filled with these dunes and could be seen for miles and miles. It's interesting to see the difference between how the sand dunes used to be and the modern day use. Now they are used for kids to play on, sit and watch the sunset, feel the ocean breeze etc.

San Francisco is known for the vast amount of murals painted throughout the city, but the Sunset seems to never be brought up as one of the focal points. Outside of a New Orleans themed restaurant this mural was painted. It kind of showed a different part of the Sunset that I have never really seen before. There is a lot of culture in the Sunset that people over look including the small New Orleans restaurant.



These are other things that I saw on my way to the beach that I thought was interesting. A lot of the Sunset seems fairly dull to me but little to my knowledge there is a lot of vibrancy. In addition to the green building, there were vibrant blues and oranges painted along Great Highway.

The Outer Sunset is a really interesting place that I am excited to explore more of.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the photographs. Oh, that green building! Don't you just love this city -- every neighborhood has its own little gems.

    ReplyDelete