Monday, February 15, 2010

Clarion Alley and ICE

Another day spent exploring Mission art. Today I went to Clarion Alley, home of the Clarion Alley Mural Project. Every wall was a work of art and I saw some stuff I really enjoyed.
I found a mural dedicated to Matty Luv, the lead singer of my favorite band ever: Hickey, so that was cool. I also enjoyed a delicious burrito from El Cayote on 16th Street on my way home!
I really, really like the food! I’m a burrito connoisseur, so I think I’ve found the perfect part of the city for me. You can eat at places renowned for their food, like El Farolito, but you can also find hole-in-the-wall places with some of the best food I’ve ever tasted. Word up!
I love everything the Mission has going on. It’s an entire micro city within itself and, to me, that’s the most appealing part of the area.
It’s great that I can get off Bart at 24th and hear flamenco guitar and Spanish vocals, then go up a few blocks and hear a guy playing jazz clarinet, then go some place like Thrillhouse and find obscure albums I never thought I’d be able to get anywhere but online.
Considering the ethnic diversity of the Mission I guess it’s not surprising that one of the neighborhood’s biggest concerns seems to be immigration. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, ICE, appears to be public enemy number one throughout most of the community.
Several residents have likened ICE to Nazis, barging into homes in the middle of the night to take illegal immigrants into custody and ship them either to a jail cell or back to their native country.
ICE even has a “Shadow Wolves” unit whom use Native American tracking skills to “fight cross-border crime” in the Arizona desert.
It’s amusing that our government is employing the tactics of the same race of people whom we raped, uprooted, and more often than not murdered, as the battle plan for our fight against the people doing the same shit today, albeit less violently. Wasn’t Christopher Columbus nothing more than the border hopping wetback of his era? Americans aren’t history scholars. Come see me and Julio down by the schoolyard!
ICE will definitely be a huge part of my future in the Mission.

3 comments:

  1. Native American tracking skills, how intense! It obviously makes for a really great investigative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that alley. It's my favorite place to be in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murals. Burritos. Tom and Julio down by the schoolyard. I'll meet you for burritos some day if you like! Loved this.

    ReplyDelete