Monday, April 12, 2010

Crime in the 'set


View Sunset district crime map - March 2010 in a larger map

Legend for the map:
Green - - car crimes
Blue - - crimes involving money or theft
Pink - - violent crimes
Red - - crimes I want to look into
Yellow - - all others

When I first looked at crime in the Sunset I wasn't very surprised at all. I saw car crimes. Car thefts, burglaries from motor vehicles and homes, as well as some pickpockets and assaults. I had access to and looked mostly at the residential neighborhoods of the outer Sunset for the month of March, but can't find anything earlier than that. I eventually found a couple crimes that sparked my interest and made me think they would make for great stories, if the investigation turned out.

One of the crimes was an alleged arson committed at Lincoln High School by a student. Another was a bank robbery that occurred on Noriega St. where two suspects supposedly held up the bank with a gun and then fled. Not sure which bank, but it would be cool if it led to something.

I definitely was not looking forward to this assignment at first, but I think it's because I was taking the wrong approach to it. Maybe focusing in on just the facts will make this assignment less ambiguous and up in the air for me than more of a profile approach. I guess I'll find out.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you about staying focused on the facts.

    ReplyDelete