Monday, April 26, 2010

Wrapping up in the Sunset

For my final paper I plan on writing about ZooMobile Outreach, which is a program at the SF Zoo that busses animals to schools for educational hands-on demonstrations in the bay area. I've e-mailed their contact rep, and it sounds like an cool story so all I can say is that I hope it works out. Some of the programs for older kids actually sound really cool, if I had to pick one to come to the class it would definitely be "The Evolving Reptile:

Reptiles have been on the earth for hundreds of millions of years. Two hundred and thirty million years ago, there were 20 distinct orders of these scaly creatures. Now, there are only four. Learn how these survivors make their way in the modern world."

Lizards are awesome! Browse more programs @ ZooMobile


When I first went to the Sunset I thought this class was going to be a nightmare because all I saw were houses. Obviously, I wasn't looking close enough, because over the class I've been able to meet with and talk to some genuinely awesome people and write about things that are not only somewhat interesting to me, but relevant to the community.

After this class I feel like I've really gained the confidence in my ability to go out and find a story, interview sources effectively, and write it up in a way that is clear and adheres to AP style. I just think that I have to work on developing my own distinct voice in my writing style over the coming days (months, years...).

This semester flew by me like I never imagined it would have. This class coming to an end is more bittersweet for me than any other, since I have sincerely enjoyed the time I spent covering events in my neighborhood. Definitely one of if not the most enjoyable classes in the journalism dept.

These next few weeks are going to be a blast, and then I'm going to see to it that I have the best summer ever. Who's with me?

2 comments: