Monday, April 12, 2010

Hayes Valley Crime and Other Topics

Last Thursday, I attended the Northern Police Station Community meeting. I arrived 15 minutes early in an attempt to talk to some residents to get their perspectives on the crime scene in Hayes Valley. I arrived to a completely empty bland white room and I thought that maybe I had gotten the day or time wrong. Unfortunately, the meeting attendance came to a grand total of 3 people. Captain Ann Mannix, a delightful (though insanely talkative) woman named Sheila, and I discussed crime in the Northern district for about an hour. They seemed to be more interested in my education at SFSU than crime that wasn't taking place in Hayes Valley. Eventually I got to a couple of subjects that would be of some interest. Captain Mannix talked to me about the process of car theft in Hayes Valley, as well as opportunist crimes. I had noticed that car theft was one of the most prevalent crimes, and although not as exciting as I hoped my crime story would be, the story would certainly be informative.
Another interesting question that Captain Mannix brought to my attention: where are the women in law enforcement? I really hated it when she brought this to my attention because this story would obviously be of interest to me. I swear, I didn't even bring it up! There are to female Captains who are in the Hayes Valley area, and this is somewhat unique. Mannix explained to me that although women account for 51 percent of the population, they make up less than 20 percent of the police department. I already have gotten some amazing quotes from her regarding this topic and why more women in law enforcement are needed. However, I'm unsure that this is really a crime story, which is slightly disheartening. If I am unable to do this story as a crime story I intend to do it anyways!
One more side note.
This has now happened to me 5 times this semester. I am in the groove of the news gathering process, trying to talk to people about crime and getting the feel of the neighborhood. I'm at Patricia's Green and I start up this conversation with this young man. I tell him what I'm doing and start asking him questions about crime and how often he's in the neighborhood. Then he says "You have pretty hair." Oh God---I thought. Here we go. I try to keep this discussion as professional as I can, explaining again I'm just trying to get information for my story. "I like your bag, my sister makes bags like that. You should give me your number so I can get you one." Really? When did this conversation get all personal? So I say no, and this guy keeps heckling me for my number. I am not talking to you to be flirtatious or coy, I really am just trying to get my work done. Impossible, this man thinks, he is much too attractive and witty with his seduction involving his sister's bags. But I have found that one line always works. "Sorry, that's conflict of interest."


1 comment:

  1. I know of what you speak ... I mean write.
    I have two blue glass on the sidewalk chapters in my book

    ReplyDelete