Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spring Break

I absolutely loved having all the extra time to work on the profile story. The extra hours to interview and meet new people and gain a true understanding of my subject. But here I am Sunday evening re-reading my profile story till my eyes bleed feeling like I need more.

At what point will I take a look at the words I have written and feel like they are a true representation of all sides of the Defenestration controversy? Okay, maybe it isn't a controversy but it sure is making a stir.

And as much magic the building brings to the people traveling far and wide to take pictures, the people of the neighborhood could truly utilize the space for something greater. But my story should get these points across, and do so flawlessly.

How can I get so lost in a single sentence, tripping over the punctuation and subject-verb structure? And then decide that I want to write. I want to write my whole life. I want to blog and comment and tweet and get my thoughts across clear and concise.

And looking at stories from news writing I've made some drastic improvements.

So why can't I stop hating this story? I've restructured and re-written again and again and it's still not what I want to come through.

Hooray for procrastination... but lets celebrate tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, If you think that writers are ever actually happy with the final product, that it meets their expectations, then I'll have to disabuse you of that notion. All these years later, it's the same -- we just keep at it because that's what we do. It's your desire to get better, to be more clear, more concise, more exquisitely right on that will serve you through the years. It's an admirable goal.

    ReplyDelete