Monday, April 12, 2010

Grand Theft Nada


View Crime Map in a larger map

As expected, crime in the Marina was pretty mundane. I had to expand my search criteria multiple times to have enough waypoints to make my map worthwhile. I eventually settled on a 30 span of time that gave me a serviceable number crimes.

I only found two crimes that involved any sort of danger to the victims. There was one assault with a deadly weapon and on robbery at gunpoint. Otherwise, it was just a boring list of petty and grand larcenies. I know that it's great for the people of the Marina that violent crimes don't really happen there, but it makes a crime map a bit dull.

There's even an area of about 5 square blocks in the residential area that didn't see a reported crime in the last 30 days. That's amazing in a big city like San Francisco. Most of the crime was centered around Chestnut street, which is the commercial center that sees the most foot traffic of any street.

It says a lot about a neighborhood and the affluence of its residents that there even exists a crime called "Grand Theft Pickpocket."

1 comment:

  1. I think we should put all our crime maps together to see where crime happens in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete