Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's almost over

I kind of don't want this class to end. After this class I only have 9 units before having a Journalism degree. I feel unprepared now but I am pretty confident that I have a good department to turn to if I ever need help finding my next step. I have really enjoyed myself and have learned so much. This semester I feel like I really got to play with soft leads which was really exciting. I felt like I could let my creative side go. In News Writing I was really rigid with just trying to get the facts down and keeping good structure, but now I can play!
Speaking of soft leads....
My Crime Story was about women in law enforcement, but no women in law enforcement had the time to speak with me. I found great articles about Penny Harrington, the first female police chief in the U.S (she was appointed in 1985...what?! Why so late?!) so I began with her story. Captain Ann Mannix and I talked about the subject, but I definitely wanted more. I tried to contact various people but cops are really hard to get a hold of. Worse, Mannix called me minutes before the class started. I was really thinking, "Could I just stick in her quotes here and there?" I decided against it. But I did feel like it was more of a research paper than an article.
I found some great studies on the subject though!
My final paper will be about the drag show at Marlena's in Hayes Valley. I haven't decided on specifics, after I go on Saturday night I will know for sure what my angle will be. I want to do this story justice, not only for a grade but because from what I heard the shows are a blast!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, this subject matter is going to make for a really fun story!

    ReplyDelete