Sunday, April 11, 2010


View Crime in Haight/Ashbury (March 2010) in a larger map

When I looked at the Haight/Ashbury district crime map for the month of March, I wasn’t too surprised by one of the results. Purple dots, meaning narcotic related crimes, littered the street of Haight.


I was surprised to find, however, that there weren’t more of some other crimes. The way that some people are advocating for the passing of the sit/lie law, I would have thought there’d be a ton more assault crimes. However, the map showed only three in the past month. There were more vandalism crimes than assault crimes.


I also thought that there would be more vandalism crime, but I assume that most of vandals probably get away with their vandalism.


Other than the high amount of narcotic crime and the low amount of assault, the rest of the map seemed pretty average for a San Francisco neighborhood.


There were four burglaries, and multiple car thefts in parts of the neighborhood off of the main street (mostly on Waller Street). I also noticed that most of the narcotic and larceny crime was situated between the entrance to Golden Gate Park and the corner of Haight & Clayton.


There was only one robbery at the intersection of Schrader & Carl.

1 comment:

  1. I think your observations are spot on. Might translate into a story about the sit/lie law.

    ReplyDelete