Monday, March 15, 2010

The Begging Journalist

If I do get to do my profile on the owner's of the African Outlet, I am extremely excited! They have been terribly hard to get a hold of, but maybe I'm going to be doing a little shopping around Hayes Valley this afternoon and maybe I'll just pop my head in there and maybe see what they're up to this week. Maybe an interview?
I have been feeling ill over the weekend, but I think I'm ready to venture back to Patricia's Green.
The African Outlet is owned by a married couple, Judah Dwyer and Horgan Edet. I have a pretty good relationship with them. Over the summer I spent a little bit of time in Hayes Valley when I worked on the Prop. 8 campaign. I wandered into the African Outlet one lunch break and Judah was so incredibly nice! She's a very motherly, warm person, but she wouldn't hold back what she has to say from fear of offending. Which is an unique quailty for a Hayes Valley neighbor. So when I was assigned Hayes Valley, this was one place where I knew that I would be welcomed.
I noticed while covering Hayes Valley, that members of the homeless community sometimes go to the African Outlet to watch television outside the store on the sidewalk. The African Outlet is one place where the homeless are welcomed instead of shunned or shooed away. Dwyer and Edet also run a charity called Native Paths of Africa. The mission of the charity is to bring modern tecnology to Africa without assimilation.
In my e-mails I attempt to be extremely interested in every detail of their work. I just hope they agree to interviews!

1 comment:

  1. ... and you could contrast them to the full-fat treatment at LaBoulange

    ReplyDelete