Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jazz Quarter

Writing my profile has been the most interesting experience I have had thus far in this class. I walked into the store having no idea what to expect. The only time I had seen the store was a quick passing by on the bus. As I waked in the very small space I was completely overwhelmed. There were piles and piles of stuff everywhere. The walls are covered in photos, newspapers, paintings and stickers. Tom has a chair that he sits in all day and just reads, listens and thinks about jazz. He has such a vast knowledge of jazz that while interviewing him he put on at least 7 different songs he wanted me to hear to prove a point he was discussing. As soon as I turned on my recorder, he just began to speak. The interview just flowed really well and felt really natural. Like most other interviews I feel like I have to warm up, but this just felt like I was having a conversation with him.

One thing I really struggled with was getting him to talk about himself. Each time he would start he would get on a tangent about anything but himself. When I tried to move the conversation back to him it would just happen again. Hopefully when I go back next week I will be able to get him to talk about himself now that I have put some of the questions he didn't have answers to in his head. I can tell he has a really interesting story to tell, but I just need to figure out how to get him to tell it.

1 comment:

  1. Did you think about posting a little bit of your audio recording of Tom?

    ReplyDelete