Monday, March 15, 2010

A Powerful Story Waiting to be Told

So being a member of Publication Lab this semester means that I not only work for the newspaper, but also for online and magazine. How does this relate to Bayview you ask?

Well, I recently pitched an idea for the magazine to do a photo story on the PG&E power plant in the neighborhood and how it's effecting peoples' health. I always knew that idea would pick up somewhere, if not in Reporting then definitely in Pub Lab.

Why should you care? I guess you shouldn't, but in the process of visually trying to get the story, I also thought about doing this story for my final paper. If I don't do this story as my final, then I think I'll definitely touch on the redevelopment in the area.

I almost wanted to tell the magazine photo editor that I can also do the reporting for this story since I thought about doing it anyway, but then I'd be taking the job away from the writer that they're going to assign.

But I don't think there's any problem if both the writer and myself get down to the issue. I have absolutely no doubt that I'll find people with health problems in my neighborhood, my only concern is getting access to document them for a photo story. It's one thing when you interview someone and capture their life, but people can become a little more reserved when you stick a camera in their face and follow them to the doctor's office.

It's all in the name of journalism I guess. My main focus is to learn more myself, and hopefully my work may be good enough to bring some kind of change for the people who are suffering.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, this is a fabulous idea. Talk to the mag editor and writer and maybe you can contribute, should you so decide. I'll send you the link to Liz Scow's stories on B/HP; they might help you get contacts for your story.

    Y

    ReplyDelete