Monday, March 22, 2010

Profile Story




I love this weather!

This week I encountered an endeavor that I am sure all journalists are forced to deal with at some point, and probably many points, during their careers. My subject pretty much flaked on me. After trying endlessly to get in contact with Dr. Meir Schneider for another follow-up interview this last week, it became obvious that we weren't on the same page as far as what was required in order to complete the story. It turns out he doesn't always teach the lectures at the School for Self-healing. In fact, it turns out his appearances at the school are quite rare.

The whole ordeal was unfortunate, but probably turned out for the better. Earlier in the semester I stopped by Sunset Pet Supply in order to get food for my cat, and completely fell in love with the store. The employees are the nicest people you've ever seen behind a counter, and will go far out their way in order to help you pick the right stuff. When I first came in, the associate behind the counter was moving heavy bags of dog food but set them down right in his tracks in order to help me pick out cat food.

They sell the highest grade of pet foods, and have a complete 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. I met the owner, who is one of the coolest and most personable guys I've ever talked to. To me, he represents the anti-business man: against business growth, and for complete community involvement and support. If it means turning away companies that sell lower grade products that want to pay him off to sell their food in his store, or take a profit loss by selling beds that are made domestically in Fremont and not in other countries, Johnson is willing to go out of his way in order to serve the people of the Sunset and San Francisco.

I got another interview with him for the draft of my profile story, but am still excited to work on it over the break. On a side note, I found an utterly peculiar house for my parents to move in to after they retire, since they are die-hard UCLA alumni.


Looking at some of the many oddly colored houses throughout the district, one has to wonder: what were these people thinking? Only in San Francisco, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Does that mean some day you'll live in a purple and gold house?

    ReplyDelete