Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Slam Poetry Profile


I'm spending my spring break in LA for my birthday and visiting my best friend of over 15 years. Before that i went to the Starry Plough and finally got an interview with 4 people at the event. The first two times that I visited, there weren't that many people and not too many amazing mesmerizing poets as i had hoped for. I didn't feel it, i really didn't. I did go back again and again, spoke to the bartender after a glass of blue moon and asked her in her honest opinion "Where are all the wonderful poets from your website" and she laughed at me at first but, later i got a story. She gave me numbers of a few regulars who attend only on a BIG night and told me to come back on Wednesday and she would help me out with my story. I had found my help.

I recorded a woman, a young girl actually, who brought tears to my eyes with her SLAM. It was about Islam and North Pakistan and UNO and American aid in India. Did i mention she brought tears to my eyes? I waited to interview her but it turns out she only came to perform and not win or stick around long enough to even know her scores. Now where is the point in that, wouldn't that have been a great story there. A missed opportunity ah!

I am attending again on Wednesday in hopes of seeing this girl again, i hear she comes only once in a while. I did manage to record an audio. I recorded the whole thing and made a youtube video of it..





Lets pray for the last of this profile tonight and see if i can add more tomorrow. What a wonderful place, amazing people all rounds. No doubt this SLAM culture has been blooming at the Starry Plough.

1 comment: