Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why did the Chronicle do a profile piece on the creator of my profile subject the week before I chose it? I mean, don't get me wrong it is newsworthy business, but can't it just be my newsworthy business?

Brian Goggin refused to talk to me, he wouldn't give any kind of contact information but directed me to the art gallery across the street. 1:AM gallery is sponsoring an exhibit where supporters can donate to help restore pieces worn down through the 13 years.

Goggin talked to the Chronicle... He gave them inspiring little quotes peaking into the mind of the self-declared ringleader of the Defenestration circus.

I was walking around the area looking for people to talk to about the building unifying the community. Instead I watched two women fist fight. And scream obscenities. And passersby pretending not to notice.

The building may be beautiful, but it influences the area far less than the egos in documentary film claims. And much like the furniture pieces, the spirits surrounding sixth street are in need of restoration.

The SROs lining the blocks of sixth street have peeling paint, and signs missing letters. So why should somebody invest $75,000 to restore furniture pieces nobody can use?

It is so San Francisco. Yes, this art is lovely but what about the people sleeping in these rooms with rusting bed frames and bathrooms. Thousands of dollars could help to unify the community by repainting the community center, where there is always a minimum 15 children spending time after school.

And writing all these observations is only interfering with my story. People I have spoken to absolutely adore the restoration idea. So how can I, not even a sixth street resident, be so enraged?

And whats more, how can the city grant dollar after dollar to the art exhibit but not include the sixth street SROs in the SRO grant? The money only went to SROs in Hunter's Point, not that they dont need it as well. There is a need for more humane living conditions all over the city, especially low income housing.

Although the Defenestration may be beautiful, and require great time and skill, it is its own hypocracy. A $175,000 art piece on a spacious boarded up hotel, on a block in need of true restoration.

1 comment: