Monday, March 1, 2010

Meeting

When our class received the meeting asignment, I thought to myself, "this is going to be so freakin easy." With that attitude, I set out in search of a local gathering with high hopes, convinced I would only need an hour or less to locate one.

However, my assumption proved to be misleading. Hours later, after visiting my district, calling the Board of Supervisors, and searching the internet forever, I had not even a trace of an upcoming meeting. The following two days, I found myself in the same predicament, nothing. Finally, on the fourth day, I saw a glimmer of hope. Desperate, I called Megan who shares the Castro district with me. She informed me of a website that had posted an upcoming meeting. I quickly jumped online to see what it was all about.

After a number of letdowns already, it was no surprise that meeting looked pretty lame. There was no information about it other than the time and location. I e-mailed the organization several times, hoping to gather details but never heard back. However, I was desperate and figured I would just have to make the best of my situation.

A few days passed when I found myself in the Castro to drop off a friend. Since I was already there I decided to grab a copy of the Bay Area Reporter, a local newspaper in my district. As doubtful as I was at that point, I figured it wouldn't kill me to look one last time for a meeting.

Rolling my eyes and grumbling to myself about how annoyed I was at this assgnement, I peeled the first page of the paper over. To my relief, as I gazed downward, I saw staring back at me an entire article of an upcoming meeting.

It's funny how things work out when you least expect them too.

1 comment: