Monday, March 22, 2010

It's not the greatest but I GOT THE INTERVIEW!

I love my profile subject but I am confused on my lead. I initially wanted to connect the fact that the African Outlet is now the only store in San Francisco dedicated to African culture to gentrification and the dwindling black population in the city and Hayes Valley. BUT! Its proven to be more difficult than expected. However, I think I can come up with another interesting topic to lead with, but I haven't found it yet. This has caused me to yell out loud at my computer many times this weekend.
The most troubling part of this profile though is that my subject, African Outlet owner Judah Dwyer, is never there! They close the store when she does errands and she's always with customers. After I called and emailed numerous times, and physically went to the store 3 times, I finally caught her and she happily agreed to an interview. She said just call Thursday and we'll interview Friday.
I called. No answer. I called. No answer. I called. No answer.
I decide that since I have left 3 messages, I should just walk in and check if she's busy. I did this, she admits she forgot and is not a diligent phone user. I ask if there's anyway to do the interview (because it's Friday and this is due Monday, I need this interview, I need this interview, I need this interview!)
She said maybe.
Huh?
What does maybe mean?
She says," This is retail honey you never know when you'll have extra time."
I nervously laugh a shrieking high pitched laugh. I give her my number and tell her to call me when she has a few minutes. I began my waiting at 3:00, expecting her to never call, but I was determined. THEN! She calls at 7:12, sure I waited but I GOT THE INTERVIEW!
Judah has an amazing story that i hope I can structure properly.
We spoke for about an hour before Horgan Edet, who was sick and on heavy medication, apparently became annoyed with my presence and I was asked to leave. BUT I GOT THE INTERVIEW! I was happy anyway.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to really speak with anyone else because I was kicked out, so my sources are severely limited. The story is definitely a bad draft but it has some potential.

1 comment: