Monday, March 15, 2010

And I thought finding a profile subject in the Haight would be easy

I originally chose to interview a homeless person in the Haight for my profile. I figured who would better represent the Haight than a homeless person that’s been in the area for a long time? Easier said than done.

First of all, I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but young people in their 20s and 30s have become the dominant homeless on Haight. While they may be interesting characters, I wanted my profile to be on someone older who had stories to tell about their past and how they came to be homeless.

I was really struggling to find someone who met this description. When I did find someone, they refused to do an interview because they think journalism is an industry of corruption and deceit.

Discouraged, I’m headed back to the drawing board but leaning towards going with Ted Loewenberg, the president of the Haight Ashbury Improvement Association. I met him at their community meeting and he was extremely interesting and seemed full of ideas and stories, and is very active in reform for the Haight district.

I sure hope this works out better than my previous ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment