Sunday, March 7, 2010

Castro Theater

This weekend I took Yvonne’s advice and tried something new and fun in my district by watching Alice in Wonderland in 3d, at the famous Castro theater. My experience was awesome and I encourage everyone to go at least once. In fact my experience was so positive I don’t thinking I’ll be watching movies at any other theater in San Francisco.

I started the night out with a few shots of cheap vodka and made sure to arrive at the theatre about an hour early, as I know Alice in Wonderland has been a highly anticipated movie.

While waiting in line I could feel the excitement of the other movie goers as they patiently waited to buy their tickets. In order to take my mind off the long wait, I took it upon myself to strike up a conversation with the woman in front of me. We hit it off and by the time we got into the theater we were discussing politics and munching on ginger snaps from the Hot Cookie.

Not only were the people friendly but the ambiance was so refreshing. When I walked in I felt like I had gone back in time to 1920’s Western Europe. The walls are painted with beautiful murals that look inspired by Roman art. Ornate decorations including an extravagant chandelier hanging from the ceiling were a treat for my eyes. I even enjoyed using the bathroom as it was spacious and way cleaner than the bathrooms at the Century Theater near my house. The best part however, was listening to the organ player rehearse classic Disney songs while waiting for the movie to start. For movie tickets that are cheaper than those sold at a corporate movie theater, the Castro Theater offers the customer a real bang for your buck.

Like I said before I won’t be watching movies anywhere else in San Francisco

3 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short, there a bunch of really cool movie theaters in SF. Try the Red Vic in the Haight, it's old and dirty (in a charming way) and plays classic flicks. Right now they're showing the muppet movie. Also try the Sundance Kabuki in the Fillmore, owned by Robert Redford. It's an old theater that'sbeen renovated to be super modern They have a 21+ balcony bar where you can get served drinks and food during the movie. Not as charming, but certainly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine, I went to the Castro and saw Alice too! I went Saturday night (followed by dinner & drinks at the Anchor Oyster Bar and dancing at Toad Hall!) Too bad I didn't run into you. Were people dressed up like Alice, the Mad Hatter, the Red Queen etc., at your showing, as they were at mine? I agree on the fabulous theaters in the city. Check out the Roxie, when it reopens. The thing I like best about the Castro Theatre though is the audience participation! You don't get that in too many places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Edward Scissorhands there and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete