Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Life and stuff


View Mission District Crime Map in a larger map
Up until about a week ago I was under the impression that crack went out with the Reebok pump—I stand corrected. I grew up in the deep east bay where everyone is a tweaker. For those who aren’t in the know, that means that everyone and their mother smokes methamphetamine—often with their mothers. So I was fairly shocked to see how many crack related arrests the Mission police station boasts.
From the arrest reports I’ve gotten it’s easy to see that crack is alive and well in the Mish. Ironically, the corner of 16th and Mission, where the open mic I did my profile on is held, has the highest instances of drug arrests, mostly for possession or sale of crack. This creates a shitty situation considering how cool the open mic is and how much crackheads suck.
There’s a lot of domestic violence in the area as well, including one incident from which the arrest report reads, “Officers arrested a man who they encountered savagely beating his wife.” Whatever happened to morals and values and all that good stuff your momma taught you? I guess the future of California is bleak when Conan the Barbarian calls the shots…That doesn’t have anything to do with anything I’ve said or anything in particular, I just wanted to throw that out there…That fool was on the cover of High Times too, and that doesn’t even make him cool.
I’ve had a really shitty day and it makes me want to fill my blog with everything on my mind. However, this is neither the time nor place for such rambling. So let’s talk about something pertinent.
The two ideas I have for my crime story are equally boring to me, but crime stories bore me in general…Besides the ones written by criminals about how they fucked the system; I relate, my life is a constant struggle to stick it to the man.
At this point I’m leaning more toward the lady who jacked a bank for a grand with nothing but a piece of paper with a couple words scribbled on it. Maybe that appeals to my literary obsession, or maybe I know that nobody cares about some dude getting arrested for selling coke in the city. Either way, I hope my crime story doesn’t suck.
These Google maps are the coolest thing since Google Earth let you spy on your ex-girlfriend. I think I’ll make one to tell the world where the best burritos in the Mission can be found. The world needs to know! I want a burrito right now, but I think I’m gonna have to skip that and keep it movin toward Irish Car-bombs and Long Island Iced Teas: it’s just one of those days.
It blew my mind when Yvonne said there are only three weeks left in the semester today. Time flies when you’re stressed beyond comparison. I’ve learned a lot at SFSU, the most meaningful being that I have a voice of my own.
I feel like I’ve finally learned how to write some shit that matters without sounding stilted or lame. I’ve always known that I could express myself better through prose than through the monotone voice I was cursed with, but now I feel like I can do so without sounding like a square.
I love writing and I love learning; progression is the essence of life.
This blog has little to do with class and lots to do with the type of day I’ve had. But if you can’t blow off steam in a blog, where can you? Thanks for listening.
Note: This was written yesterday. Irish Car-bombs and Long Island Ice Teas are not friendly the next day. Stay up.

3 comments:

  1. That bank robbery story is endlessly epic. What was on that paper?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know. But someone else tried to do the same thing in San Jose and a professor from San Jose State put him in a bear hug and ended it all haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have. You do.
    And do the burrito map.
    The guy who caught the thief is a really good former journalist ... or are you ever former? Trust me: Life is definitely stranger than fiction and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete