Friday, April 16, 2010

Unlawful attempts to purchase apple chips!

Finding a crime story that doesn’t suck has been a daunting task. At first I was just going to pull some crime that happened somewhere in the Mission from the crime reports I get almost daily from the station and write a story on it, but I decided that was lame.
Then I was going to do a profile on some organization in the community that helps prevent crime in some way: wasn’t happening.
So, I’m settling on writing about a drug sting that happened on 16th and Mission yesterday. To me, it’s interesting because the cops targeted drug buyers instead of drug dealers, and instead of selling them crack, they sold them pieces of apple chips.
I’m pretty interested in this story because, for one, I want to know why the cops are wasting time and money trying to arrest crackheads instead of drug dealers. It doesn’t make sense that they are wasting money trying to arrest drug addicts when the city is straight broke. What’s the point?
Also, I want to know what they can actually arrest the crackheads for, considering all they really bought was a piece of apple. I know they thought they were buying crack, but they didn’t buy crack, so what do you charge them with? Possession of an unlawful apple?
It’s all weird to me and I hope to get to the bottom of it.
On a cooler note…Every time I go to Dolores park I hang out by this awesome ledge that I wish I was good enough to skate. It’s super perfect for someone good enough, but that aint me. I’m always totally bummed that I never see any pros skating it and I kind of gave up hope that I ever would.
Then I found this video of Brian Anderson, one of my all time favorite skaters, skating the Dolores park ledge! How groovy.
I didn’t get to see anything in person, but at least this lets me know it’s very likely that I could see someone like Brian Anderson skating there one day. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Everyone have a splendid weekend. See you next week.

2 comments:

  1. I see Brian rollin down 24th every once in a while! Always seems to be leavin' the skatepark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, they'll get them on intent ... but one could argue they INTENDED to sell apple chips. Very funny. You could get extra credit by writing two stories -- some combination of this:
    a straight news story;
    a humorous attitudinal editorial piece on how lame the cops were

    That was an awesome video. I am always astounded by human dexterity, physical feats that combine skill with absolute abandon and trust. Those are traits I lack. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete